The Value of Personal Networking


A few years ago, my friends, David Nickle and Madeline Ashby told me that if I was serious about getting back into writing, then in addition to establishing a strong social media presence, I need to be visible at events. Toronto is a great place to do that – with many literary events happening every month.

My work schedule (Tuesday through Saturday afternoons and evenings), made that goal impossible for years, but having recently moved to a daytime schedule, I am now endeavoring to get out more.

One of the first events I was able to attend was a re-launch of Amazing Stories Magazine at the Merrill Collection. It was nice to see friends I haven’t encountered in a year or more. And it was great to celebrate the rebirth of a publication that was a big deal to me as a young writer. But, as a networking opportunity, I suppose I was just out of practice.

Then this week, I went to a book launch. Michael Kelly of Undertow Publications – one of the most respected publishers of weird fiction in the world – was releasing Simon Strantzas’ new collection Nothing is Everything. I do not know Simon Strantzas, although I have encountered his work in a number of publications. He’s among a younger generation of horror writers – whose career has long eclipsed mine.

I have been quietly moving away from the weird horror genre, so despite having the opportunity to chat with the publisher, I will probably not be sending him submissions anytime soon. Nevertheless, he is a delightful man who publishes amazing books, so it’s always good spending time at events he’s hosting. 

While I was there, I ran into some old friends in Peter Halasz and Bob Knowlton, and was introduced to mystery writer, Peter McGarvey – who has carved out a significant career over the past few years with his self-published titles like Dark Sunset, Foggy Sunset and Bloody Sunset.

Mr. McGarvey was interesting and inspiring to talk with and had some great promotional tips for self-published authors along with some fun anecdotes about his own experiences and beginning his own literary journey with the help of well-known SF Author Robert J. Sawyer.

And I must admit that a pint or two of good beer lubricates that journey back into the networking groove.  Online friends and social media are great, but networking provides a personal connection that is hard to beat. And there’s no better place to meet publishers and agent than at convention, book launches and other social events.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of C.J. Lavigne's In Veritas

Becoming a Legend in my Own Mind - and why that might be good enough

The Book After Which Everything is Different