C...C....C...Courage

A few times in my life, I’ve taken big risks and the results were both world-changing and emotion charged. After the fact, I have never regretted having taken those risks.

But as I get older, I find the notion of change and the spectre of dealing with intense emotion more frightening.

Over the past 5 years with my day job, I have run into numerous roadblocks where the at least one of the options for getting past them (usually the most exciting option) involved taking significant risk. I have backed away from those – and in almost every case, the result was a perpetuation of the status quo – but with a bit less pizzazz and enthusiasm. Looking back, I have regretted my lack of courage in every one of those instances.

I ask myself why am I so risk averse now? Middle age is the perfect time to walk the tightrope across the falls. My life expectancy is relatively short - and with the diminishing relevance that inevitably accompanies old age – my life expectancy as a contributing member of society is probably measurable on a good daytimer.

So rather than trying to keep my world at a comfy 27 degrees until I die choking on the styrofoam peanuts of my soul I should jump into the abyss. Chances are it only comes up to my knees – and even if it’s much deeper – the option of going out with my heart pumping and a scream of exhilaration on my lips is much more appealing than the slowly sinking and choking option.

The time for playing it safe is over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of C.J. Lavigne's In Veritas

Becoming a Legend in my Own Mind - and why that might be good enough

The Book After Which Everything is Different